The documentary about me, Brad Warner’s Hardcore Zen is showing in Los Angeles and San Francisco next month, and the month after that Zero Defex is playing a show in Akron to raise money for my friend Logan Lestat’s on-going cancer treatment.
Usually when I do out-of-town gigs I make at least my travel expenses back. But for these shows I won’t. The movie screenings never really make anything (your ticket fees go to the theaters to pay the rental for the space) and, naturally, I won’t get paid for doing a charity show with Zero Defex.
SO, I’m gonna do a little fund raiser/sale here to try and raise some of the $700 or so I’ll need to make it to these events.
First item on the list: MONSTER FLASH DRIVES!!
I created these handsome monster shaped flash drives for the recent showing of the movie in NYC. Unfortunately due to the near complete inaccessibility of the merch table at that show, I only managed to sell one of them. That leaves 9 more for you fine folks. They contain the following:
– Hardcore Zen audiobook complete and remastered. This is much better than the version I had up on CD Baby for a while. My friend John Graves went through the whole thing and fixed up a lot of the audio problems with the original version (which were the reason I pulled it off sale). Now it sounds terrific. But, as yet, it is not available anywhere but on this flash drive.
– Sit Down and Shut Up audiobook complete and remastered. I should say “mastered” instead of remastered. Again, John Graves went through and fixed it all up. I have not yet made this for sale anywhere except at live appearances. I probably will eventually. But who knows? Get it now, while you can!
– Five bonus audio tracks. Each of these is around an hour long. Four are talks I did that I thought came out especially well. One is an intimate dialogue between me and my first Zen teacher Tim McCarthy. They’re not remastered, but they sound pretty good anyhow. They’re all complete and unedited, just as they were captured on my audio recorder.
– Eleven (11!) Zero Defex videos! All your favorite 0DFx songs on video!
– Fourteen (14!!!) There Is No God commercials. These were created to go on YouTube when the book came out. I put about half of them up. But ALL of them are on the Monster Drive!
I will send one of these to the first nine people who donate $40 or more and specifically ask for the Monster Drive. If you end up being too late to get one, I will send you an email offering to refund your donation with absolutely no hard feelings — guaranteed. If these do well I’ll probably make more. So you’ll also get the option to hang tight till the new ones are ready.
Item two: HARDCORE ZEN MOVIE SOUNDTRACK CD
This is a 20 track CD containing all of the music used in the movie Brad Warner’s Hardcore Zen plus special dialogue snippets from the film to recreate the experience of seeing the movie. Most of the film’s soundtrack was composed by me or in collaboration with the guys from Zero Defex. You will find Dimentia 13 songs here that haven’t been available anywhere ever plus some of Zero Defex’s most memorable tunes and the classic Buddha Is A Good Ol’ Boy complete (in the film you get to hear about half a line of the song). It’s a song I wrote for Tim way back when I first started studying Buddhism with him in the early 80s. It’s beautifully stupid! This is the original version I did in 1984 that I recently found on a cassette tape in my closet.
I made 15 copies so the first fifteen people who donate $20 or more and specifically ask for the soundtrack CD will get them. It’s a CD-R, of course. But the label is handwritten by me, so that’s something, right? And it’s gonna be super rare. I’ll cook up some more to sell at future screenings of the film. But after that I won’t be making them anymore.
* * *
Registration is now open for our Zen & Yoga Retreat at Mt. Baldy Zen Center May 9-11, 2014
The events page is now updated! Take a look at where I’m gonna be!
You can see the documentary about me, Brad Warner’s Hardcore Zen, at the following locations:
– April 17, 2014 Los Angeles, CA
– April 20, 2014 San Francisco, CA
ZERO DEFEX will play on May 16, 2014 in Akron, OH
NOTE: The audiobook is no longer available from CD Baby so don’t try to order from them OK?