I’m halfway through my East Coast Living Room Tour 2013. It’s been great. But it’s been very tiring and very expen$ive. I tried every way I could to cut corners. But it’s still costing me more than twice as much as I budgeted for — and I thought my budget was entirely too pessimistic. But people have been very generous. So if that keeps up there’s a good chance I will break even, which is all I’m hoping for at this point.
The real killer has been the car rental. I doubt I’ll ever rent anything from Avis again. My friend Dave in Akron offered to drive me around for the rest of the tour in his van and I thought, “Great! I’ll save a lot!” But when I asked Avis about turning in the car early they told me that would cost $300 more! Go figure that one out if you can.
So if any of you folks out there have done this kind of touring and have worked out a solution to this, please let me know. For gosh sakes, I have bought cars that cost less than this rental! I’m toying with the idea of buying a beater car and parking it at my friend’s house in Akron then using Akron as a base of operations for the Midwest and South. But that’s the best solution I’ve come up with so far.
There Is No God And He Is Always With You (available at bookstores and Amazon, Barnes and Noble, or Indie Bound) has been selling much better than I expected. So I may spend the rest of the tour talking about my other books instead cuz I don’t want to have to cart them home. And they’re all good. Plus I got those audio skulls. Those are pretty neat!
I’ve spoken to lots of diverse audiences in lots of interesting places. I had two gigs in tattoo parlors, one in a library and two in actual living rooms. If I can work out a way to do things cheaper I’ll do more of these living room tours in the future. The people hosting me have been really great.
We did two Zero Defex gigs which were terrific fun. We played in Akron with Kepi Ghoulie and Dog Party who were fan-frikkin-tastic. Dog Party (this link is a different video, watch them both!) is one of the funnest bands I’ve ever shared a stage with. They’re two adorable teenage girls who travel with their mom who sells their merchandise. After their own set they become Kepi Ghoulie’s backing band. So cool! They are my new favorite band in the world.
Whether I break even or not, this has been a great time. Look for me in your town soon!
EAST COAST LIVING ROOM TOUR
• 25-June Philadelphia, PA 8 p.m. 1547 E. Berks St., Philadelphia, PA 19125
• 26-June Newark, Delaware 5:30 p.m. The Meadow (next to the co-op) 280 East Main Street, Market East Plaza, Newark, DE 19711 https://www.facebook.com/events/138021953061773/
• 27-June Annapolis, Maryland 7 p.m. Universalist Unitarian Church of Annapolis 333 Dubois Rd, Annapolis, MD 21401 https://www.facebook.com/events/541018419278312/?ref=14
• 28-June Asbury Park, NJ 7 p.m. Pure Health Bar & Yoga 701 Cookman Ave Asbury Park, NJ
• 29-June Long Island, NY 7 p.m. Clear Mountain Zen Center 519 Hempstead Ave., West Hempstead, NY 11553
* * *